The Student-Industry Bridge Engineering Fellowship Program is a Northeastern University post-doctoral researcher, Ph.D. candidate, pre-doctoral candidate, M.S. degree candidate or undergraduate conducting research of interest to you at Northeastern University under the supervision of a faculty member while also spending time as an intern at your location.
Benefits of the Fellowship Program
- The Research Project
- Lowers the cost of research.
- The Fellow may access university lab equipment, processes and space that may be otherwise unavailable to the company.
- Faculty member oversight of the Fellow ensures quality research.
- Project builds relationships with the Fellow, other students and key academic researchers.
- Brings fresh talent, skills and perspective to work side-by-side with your staff.
- Less cost than permanent hire.
- Can be assigned special projects.
- A potential full-time hire.
- The Fellowship agreement governs the research project
- A mutually agreed-upon project conducted by the Fellow at the university under supervision of a key faculty member.
- Covers confidentiality and ownership of inventions discovered through a research project at Northeastern University.
- Intern agreement governs work at industry offices
- The agreement is between the company and intern.
- Covers confidentiality, and ownership of inventions discovered while under the direction and supervision of the company.
Details of the Fellowship Agreement
- The term may be for any period of time not shorter than 1 semester, with renewal.
- May be terminated by either party within 60 days of notice prior to anniversary date.
- Company receives periodic quarterly written and oral reports.
- Mutual protections regarding publishing and confidentiality.
- May be amended by mutual agreement.
Details of Internship Agreement
- Covers confidentiality.
- Ownership of inventions and IP when intern is at industry site.
- Non-competition and non-solicitation clauses.
- Intern does not participate in any insurance, disability retirement, pension, health or other plan offered to corporate employees.
Funding the Fellowship
- Funding is based on academic level, time commitment, and other factors.
- Post-doctoral researcher: $70,000 – $90,000/year.
- Ph.D. candidate: $50,000-$70,000year.
- Pre-doctoral candidate: $40,000-$60,000/year.
- M.S. candidate: $30,000-$50,000/year.
- Undergraduate student: $10,000 – $30,000/year.